- 1. PORTER-CABLE 4216 Super Jig-Dovetail jig
- 2. Keller Dovetail System 135-1500 Journeyman DoveTail Jig
- 3. PORTER-CABLE 4210 12-Inch Dovetail Jig
- 4. Woodstock D2796 12-Inch Dovetail Jig with Aluminum Template
- 5. MLCS 6406 Pins and Tails Half Blind Dovetail Jig Set
- 6. Rockler Complete Dovetail Jig
- 7. Leigh Super 12″ Dovetail Jig
If you are a woodworker, you may already understand the importance of good quality tools for improved craftsmanship. Sometimes the difference between average and good might just be your choice of tools. With this idea in mind, we compiled a list of some of the dovetail jigs available in the market today. Read on to pick that perfect craftsman dovetail jig for your workshop.
The Porter Cable 4216 Super Jig kit is easy to work with enabling users to cut a variety of joinery for drawers, boxes, and furniture. It is a great choice if you are looking for help with woodworking, furniture or cabinet making. It is capable of accommodating stock from 1/4 to 1-1/8 inches thick and comes with heavy-duty cam-type clamps with sandpaper-backed locking bars provide a firm grip of wood. Its machined aluminum templates provide superior cutting accuracy and long-term durability.
The following are some its other notable features:
- It includes 12-inch dovetail jig and three templates
- It has template alignment lines and router bit depth gauges which allow a quick and easy setup
- It comes with a single-piece steel base design that requires no assembly
- It clamps or bolts directly to the workbench making it easy to work with
- It accommodates stock from 1/4- to 1-1/8-inch thick
If you are working on a small-medium woodworking project, The Keller Dovetail System 135-1500 Journeyman DoveTail Jig is a good choice. This model is capable of handling wood of 1/8 to 3/4 inches in thickness and of any width. It enables you to cut dovetails of different shapes such as variable-spaced, acute, obtuse, compound-angled, and curved dovetails. The Keller dovetail system is extremely useful in making box and knuckle joints.
The following are some of its other important features:
- It comes with a 15-inch precision-milled template
- You can work with wood from 1/8 to 3/4 inches thick on this device
- It is durable, efficient, and minimizes wood wastage
4210 is a 12” dovetail jig with user-friendly features. Its simple alignment lines make it easy to set-up and work with. It accepts stock from 1/4 to 1-1/8 inch in thickness and up to 12 inches in width. It is sturdy and durable with 1/8-inch a thick steel base and CNC-machined aluminum templates for creating half-blind dovetails, dovetail dadoes, box joints, and miniature dovetails.
The following are some of the other features of 4210 Dovetail Jig:
- The set includes 4211 template for half-blind, rabbeted half-blind and sliding dovetails
- Template alignment lines and router bit depth gauges make it easy to set up and work with
- Router bit depth gauges allow the setup of quick and accurate depth without the need for measurements
- It includes 4211 template for half-blind, rabbeted half-blind and sliding dovetails
- Comes with clear instructions which provide user guidance for its various applications
- Comes with a machined aluminum template which helps improve accuracy and durability
- Accepts 12-inch stock width and 1-1/8-inch stock thickness
Woodstock’s dovetail jig comes with a cam action clamp that makes it possible to lock two boards in position. It is equipped to handle stock from ½” to 1-¼” in thickness and 12” in width. Comes with easily adjustable knobs instead of wing nuts. It is simple to set up and durable.
The following are some of its other notable features:
- The device comes with a ½” aluminum template along with complete instructions.
- Its router requires a 7/16 guide bushing and 1/2 14 Dovetail router bit with 1/4 shank
- It is simple to setup and easily makes 1/2-Inch half-blind dovetail joints needed for drawer construction
MLCS’s half blind dovetail jig comes with a solid aluminum template and steel jig that are precisely cut for creating strong and secure half blind dovetail joints or half-blind rabbeted dovetail joints. Its steel beams help in holding both work pieces in place.
Let’s take a look at some of its other important features:
- It is simple to work with and easy to set up
- Gives accurate results within little time
- It is capable of handling 1/2″ to 1″ drawer sides and 5/8″ to 1″ drawer fronts that are up to 12″ in width
- Its edge guides allow proper offset for precise joint alignment
- Comes with a detailed instruction manual that can guide you through the setup and assembly of the product
- One should buy an additional 5/8″ router guide bushing
- A 14-degree dovetail bit is included.
- The set includes a free ¼” shank router bit
Rockler dovetail jigs are widely recognised for their reliability and performance. This product comes with a preset template guide that allows for quick initial setup for 1/2″ to 3/4″ thick stock. The device is capable of cutting half-blind dovetailed joints that are 1/2″ to 1-⅛ inches in thickness and full through dovetails that are 3/8″ to 3/4″ in thickness. It is equipped to accommodate stock up to 11″ in width.
The following are some of its other notable features:
- This set requires an additional router with 1/2″ collet and a router base plate that accepts template guide bushings
- Comes with 8mm diameter bits that are 25% larger than typical 1/4″ bits. They help in reducing chatter and fit well in all existing Rockler dovetail jigs
- Comes with a preset template and fence locations that are clearly marked for standard thickness stock
- Its clamping bars include abrasive surface to grip stock and prevent slipping
- Has a depth gauge on template for setting dovetail bit height for half-blind joints
- Comes with a detailed eight-page instruction booklet
- Also includes a quick reference guide for standard joints
Leigh’s Super 12” dovetail jigs offer good results at a reasonable price. These dovetail jigs come with variably spaced through, and half-blind dovetails. The infinitely adjustable one-piece fingers offer you a flexibility in joint patterns ensuring a half pin at the edges of the joint. One can work with half-blind pin boards and tail boards at the same time using the included two-function spacer. Choose the route half-blind joints according to the required depth and any of the five half-blind bits from the ones available.
The following are some of the other features of Leigh Super 12″ dovetail jig:
- The finger assembly can produce two sizes of box joints, 5/16″ and 5/8″
- It comes with Leigh’s exclusive E-bush technology. This makes it possible for the users to make very precise adjustments for fit
- Simple cam action clamps and aluminum clamp bars help hold the workpiece securely in place
We hope that our detailed dovetail jig reviews would help you in your hunt for the dovetail jig for your project. Remember that while choosing a new craftsman dovetail jig, one must consider specifications, performance, and durability above all else. We wish you luck for all your projects!