The era of vacuum cleaner is here, and so you will find a variety of options from the branded companies to complete the cleaning of your home and office. So, it may become a difficult task to choose a perfect vacuum cleaning machine for your needs. Here I have compared and reviewed the different types of vacuum cleaners. It will give you all required information including usage, advantages, and disadvantages of vacuum types.
Handheld vacuums are small and portable vacuum cleaners which can clean small areas of your house. Because of their compact size, they can become the most used electronic appliances in your home.
- As they are small, they are lightweight and easy to carry.
- Most of the handheld vacuum cleaner models do not weigh more than five pounds.
- They are best for some quick cleanups.
- You can use such vacuum cleaners almost anywhere, even in those areas where a larger vacuum might not work properly.
- They can suck up anything from anywhere in your house.
- They can rescue any lost items whether a pin or rubber band, etc.
- If you attach any synthetic cloth in front of cleaner, you can even find your treasure ring, earring, or diamonds which you have lost under the sofa where your hands do not reach!
- You can also take them anywhere. A cordless model is great for the outdoor use. You can also bring them to the beach so that you can quickly clean off the sand and avoid them entering in your car along with you.
But as they are compact, there are many negative points this type of vacuum cleaners are having; and one of the major issues is that it is not a good option to clean the large areas of your home. You can use them in case of emergencies, but then they will consume a lot of time and your efforts.
Canister vacuums are the stylish cleaners in which the user pulls a canister from behind. They provide better mobility compared to other types of vacuums. You can clean under the low profile furniture as the designs of the canister vacuum cleaners are not so big. They are also compact and lightweight.
- They have powerful engines. Still, they are quite.
- Canister vacuums tend to be quieter as compared to the other designs.
- They clean faster as the engines are powerful.
- These vacuum cleaners are perfect for hardwood floors.
- You can also switch them from the hard floor to the carpets.
- They come with the flip switch. But, some users have noted that they are not for the carpets. They are unable to give best results like they are used to give on tiles and hardwoods.
They also have some other disadvantages like storage issues, cost issues, back pain, etc. Yes, they are costly compared to others. Moreover, they take more space. You need to disassemble their parts to keep them in the smaller area. You also need to bend over more often, which can create the back pain.
Upright vacuum cleaners are the most common type you will get to find in the market. They are very effective and can fit in anyone’s budget. They come in a traditional design which is still popular these days.
- You will get the single unit containing the motor and suction head both.
- They use motorized brushes, so they are the most efficient vacuum cleaners for cleaning thick carpets and rugs.
- You can easily change the transition between your floors and the carpets.
- If you use this vacuum, your back will be saved as you don’t need to bend your back unless you use a hose attachment.
- The storage is also easy, as there are no extra accessories.
- You can also use them without any preparations.
- They designed to clean widely.
But, if you want calm environment while cleaning the floors or carpets, you should avoid upright vacuum cleaners. This type of cleaners tends to be noisy! They rarely have a good sound insulation like the canisters are having.
They are also heavy and quite difficult to move in the entire house. They create much more difficulties on stairs. As they are upright, they are not so effective on the corners of your house. They even do not reach small places. Some new designs even equipped with small hoses for this purpose but still, they do not make much difference.
Stick vacuum cleaners are famous for absorbing crumbs, hair, dust, etc. You can use them on the laminated floors, hardwood, shag pile carpet, rugs, and other areas of home. Generally, such type of vacuum cleaners come with dust bags to capture all the dust and debris from the surface.
- Stick vacuum is ideal for grabbing pet hairs, debris, dust, etc. from rugs and hardwood floors.
- They produce less noise compared to other vacuum types.
- You will get almost all the tools that come only with the full-sized vacuums.
- Available at affordable prices.
- Lightweight and compact design make stick vacuums extremely portable.
You will get options to choose the stick vacuum i.e. corded or cordless. So you have right to get the ideal cleaning equipment as per your convenience. Though stick vacuum cleaners are having a great range of features, they do have some cons like every other machine or device. If you have wall to wall carpeting at your home, then it is not advisable to choose this vacuum. Also, thick plush carpet users should avoid to buy it as it may not provide thorough cleaning performance on such type of carpets. Smaller dust cups mean you need to clean them at frequent times.
If you prefer to choose the lightweight option with stylish design, then Stick type vacuum cleaner is a great choice. But just make sure the type of cleaning it provides and flooring you have set at your home.
It is essential to understand what exactly a cleanerobotic vacuumr does. It is not like that if you have a robotic vac, then it will start the cleaning at your home automatically when it is needed. But, you can schedule the process for a certain period, and the vacuum will do it accordingly. It surely gives you relief from worry about the cleaning task whether you are present at your home or not and thus saves your time and effort.
- The best advantage of a robotic (autonomous) vacuum is you do not need to operate it manually.
- Whether you have hardwood floors, rugs, low pile carpet, or any other flooring; the robotic vacuum cleaner will adjust the cleaning settings according to it.
- These machines recharge automatically, means if the battery is low, they go to the charging dock, and after the full recharge, they continue the cleaning work.
- Once you have preset the boundaries for cleaning, the vacuum follows that path and not go at unwanted places. Some modern robotic vacuums have even the functionality of updating the cleaning path automatically while doing the task.
- Unlike to some other types of vacuums, the robotic vacuum can easily clean the hard-to-reach surfaces.
Though the autonomous vacuum cleaning machines do their task automatically, you need to pre-clean the area to teach them which things to suck up and which to pass over. They are durable for a long time, but when you need to replace its parts, the cost can end in high amount. I am not saying that the machine is not reliable, but it cannot give the performance as high as the manual vacuum cleaning can do.
Canister Vs Upright Vacuums
When people started using the vacuums for the cleaning process, they intended to use the upright vacuums for high pile carpets, rugs, etc. flooring types and the canister vacuums for bare floors. But as the user gets smarter day by day, the choice of picking the canister or upright vacuum has become wise. People check the features, specifications, price, and other aspects of the machine and match it with their requirements to get the best vacuum cleaning stuff.
But, overall, I can say that with the high suction power, easy and silent operation, faster cleaning and less noise makes the canister vacuums more preferable than the upright vacuum types today.
Bag Vs Bagless Vacuum Cleaners
Bagged vacuum cleaner, as its name suggests, comes with a dust bag which collects the dust and debris at the time you vacuum. Depending on the vacuum you have chosen, you can either empty the dust bag or can replace it when it is full. On the other hand, the bagless vacuum has two types; cyclonic and filtered. The cyclonic vacuum uses the cyclonic action power to trap the dirt in the canister and does not use a filter, while the filtered vacuum depends on the filter to capture the dirt in the canister.
Both the bagged and bagless vacuum cleaners have their own benefits and drawbacks. Both are effective and help you to clean your home quite comfortably. We cannot actually decide which is the best among them, but depending on your choice and comfort, you can surely know which is the perfect choice for you.
How to pick a good vacuum cleaner?
Picking up a good vacuum cleaner for your home or office may be turned into a confusing and challenging task because there are so many brands and cleaning machines in the market today. But knowing your needs and checking the specifications of the device can help you to make a better choice. Check the points below which will give you the answer of how to pick a good vacuum cleaner type.
- The surface you have at home. Means whether you have a high pile carpet, wall-to-wall carpeting, hardwood floors, shag rug, tile floors, or any other flooring.
- Whether you want a vacuum cleaner for floor cleaning only or you are going to use it for stairs, upholstery, etc.
- If you have family members who suffer from allergies, then you should pick up a vacuum with the best filtration process as the machine draws in the dust and debris and sends the exhaust air out. So if the vacuum does not have a great filtration process, then it can create problems.
- Which type of vacuum do you prefer; cordless or corded? Cordless vacuum cleaners provide convenience in cleaning as they do not use any type of wire to operate, so you can take them anywhere you want without worrying about the power outlet. But they run only for minutes and not for hours due to the short battery life. You need to charge them frequently. On the other hand, the corded vacuum cleaners can work as long as you want. You have just to make sure that the power outlet is at convenient place to plug them in.
- Whether you want to perform cleaning manually or don’t like the vacuuming at all. If you want to get a vacuum type which can do the task automatically, then the robotic vacuum cleaner is an ideal choice for you.
- If you have allergies, then you should go with the bagged type vacuum. But an extra task of emptying or replacing it will be added to your list. And if you do not want to make your task-list longer and want more convenience, then the bagless type of vacuum you should get.
- Last but not the least, the price of the vacuum cleaning machine. Know your budget and choose according to that. As you can extend the boundaries to get a machine with more convenience, but you should also remember that it is not the lifetime investment and so check all the options first.
Different vacuum cleaners come in various sizes, shapes, colors, price range, features, and functionalities. So choosing the perfect type of vacuum can take a little more amount of time and efforts. But the above comparison and reviews of the vacuum cleaner types will help you to get the value for money cleaning machine. Let me know which type of vacuum will you prefer to have for your home cleaning purpose and how this article helped you to choose your ideal machine.