Today, I will show you how to fix the error of ‘Steam needs to be online to update,’ but first, let me give a brief about this popular gaming software.
What is Steam?
In 2003, Steam was launched as a digital delivery service. Having the symbol of first of its kind, it became popular among the gamers worldwide in no time. Started with the Valve’s Half-Life 2, today, most of the gaming platforms and stores like Windows and EA use the Steam model wisely.
One of the most significant benefits of using Steam is that, whenever a game introduced, you need not wait for its DVD/CD to be launched. Just log into your account, search for the game and start downloading it on your system!
If you are using Steam for the first time, then be sure about downloading and installing all the necessary files for it. Sometimes, even though you have a live internet connection, your system, especially the latest Microsoft’s Windows 10 OS shows an error of ‘Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again.’ This needs to be resolved quickly as, without the update, you may not be able to download & play games you already purchased.
Reasons that may cause the fatal error steam needs to be online to update:
- Outdated drivers for hardware
- Malware or virus on the system
- Corrupted system files
- Software dispute
I have worked around this issue and provided the best tricks to solve this fatal error. Try the solutions below and enjoy your Steam gaming.
Solutions for “Steam Needs to be Online to Update”
Solution-1: Use Admin/Compatibility mode in Steam
Try running your Steam software with administrative rights and then, check if the problem is fixed. For this;
- Right-click on the ‘Steam’ icon on your desktop
- Select ‘Run as administrator.’
- Right click on the software icon
- Choose ‘Properties.’
- Go to ‘Compatibility’ tab
- Mark the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select the latest version of Windows from the drop-down box
- Click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘Ok.’
- Restart ‘Steam’ and the issue should be fixed
If this solution doesn’t work, then try the next methods.
Solution-2: Disable Windows Firewall
You also know that the every Windows system has its own antivirus program called ‘Windows Firewall.’ It protects your system from any potential threats that can damage your system software or hardware. But sometimes, this inbuilt program also prevents some safe programs too. So, disabling it temporarily may fix this fatal error.
To do that,
- Press Windows + S key and type ‘Control Panel.’
- Open it when you see the icon
- Now, go to System and Security > Windows Firewall
- In the left panel, click on ‘Turn Windows Firewall on or off.’
- For both the Private and Public networks, choose ‘Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended)’ and click ‘Ok.’
- After you update Steam, turn on the Windows Firewall again as it will help to prevent any security breach in your system.
Solution-3: Use Registry Editor
Changing the Registry values for Steam also can help to fix ‘Steam needs to be online to update’ issue in Windows 10. Follow the steps below to edit the Registry:
- Press Windows + R key, type ‘regedit’ and press Enter
- Click ‘Yes’ to open the Registry Editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Valve > Steam
- In pen on the right side, look for ‘AlreadyRetiredOfflineMode.’
- Double tap on it and set the Value Data to 0
- Then, close the editor and reboot your system
Solution-4: Use another system to copy Steam files
To apply this method, you will need a second computer, a USB flash drive and a Steam version installed on that system.
- Open the ‘Steam Installation Directory’ in the other system
- Copy the files from there and store them in the USB drive, remember not to copy Steamapps folder
- Now, connect the memory drive to your system and copy all Steam files from it
- Paste all of them into the Steam Installation Directory. If you are asked to replace files, then select ‘yes.’
- After doing that, run the ‘Steam’ and see if the issue is solved
Solution-5: Use Google’s DNS
Many users don’t know about this, but a fault in DNS settings can also cause the problem related to Steam updates. So, I advise you to change your DNS settings to Google’s DNS and then check whether the issue is solved. And to change the DNS settings to Google;
- Open Control Panel. Go to ‘Network and Internet’ option
- Then, click on ‘Network and Sharing Center.’
- In the column on the left, choose ‘Change Adapter Settings.’
- Right-click on the network you are using currently and then select ‘Properties.’
- In the properties box, select ‘Internet Protocol Version’ and then click on ‘Properties.’
- Go to DNS section and write the address in a note if you have any.
- Now, add the DNS server addresses; 220.127.116.11 & 18.104.22.168
- Mark the box of ‘Validate upon exit.’
- Click ‘Ok.’
- Now, restart the internet connection as well as Steam software.
There are a few other methods and tricks too, which you can try to fix the fatal error of ‘Steam needs to be online to update’ in your Windows System. Like, you can turn off the proxy settings in your ‘Internet Explorer,’ disable your antivirus for some time, prevent auto startup of Steam services, etc.
Why repair STEAM?
Many gamers, who are using Windows 10 OS, regularly get advantages of Steam, but only some of them know fixing the fatal errors like this. So, they either take help of professionals which cost money or they just stop using Steam and purchase CD/DVD for playing games. Both these ways don’t make any sense as there are handy solutions available all over the web for any of the Windows 10 problems.
I hope this guide helped you to solve the “Steam needs to be online to update” in Windows 10 or any other Windows system. Let me know your thoughts on this and also share your own ideas & how they helped you to solve this Steam issue.
PS: If I get a good response from you readers, I will add some more efficient and useful tricks to solve this fatal error of Steam.