If you own a computer and concern about protecting your Windows system security over the internet from virus and malware, then most probably you have heard the names like Avast, Norton, AVG, Windows Defender, Kaspersky, etc. antivirus software. But, today I will discuss about another duo of antimalware programs Spybot and Malwarebytes.
Adding them to your current antivirus tool will do nothing, but will add a stronger protection layer to your digital security system. Both these are may not be well-known amongst a particular group of people but are much powerful than some of the best in the industry. They are best in protecting your system against malware.
But which is better among them and which one should you choose for your computer system? Let’s find it out here.
Potential threats like Malware can attack your system in a number of ways, like:
- Tracking cookies
You never know which software downloading or which site visiting may install malware on your system. So, it’s always required to have a top-quality software to guard your PC. Spybot and Malwarebytes both do this job perfectly, but which is the best. Check it out.
We will first take a look at some basic information about them both and then will compare them in different areas.
Spybot Search and Destroy
In 1995, Safer-Networking Ltd. released the initial version of Spybot antimalware tool. Truly speaking, that first version was not much impressive with a poor quality of website designing. It was a tedious task to find particular information on that sluggish site. But, gradually, with quality features and satisfactory customer support, it became popular among the PC users across the globe.
Features of Spybot Search and Destroy software
- It comes as easy-to-install tool
- It was one of the first antimalware programs available for the common users
- It claims to kill Malware, adware, spyware, and other malicious threats
The Malwarebytes also is a free software available online for download. It gives a significant boost to your currently installed antivirus software to fill up any loopholes present in that. It does not give straight competition to the famous antivirus tools, but rather it targets to prevent the newest and strongest malware threats (just like Ransomware) which the best among the companies don’t have a direct solution yet.
Features of Malwarebytes
- Easy to install
- Better user experience with improved interface
- It scans even in a safe mode of the system
- Based on the Chameleon technology which provides superior malware removing results
- Easily integrates with your current antivirus program and rootkit scan
Spybot Vs Malwarebytes
The Spybot Search & Destroy and Malwarebytes both are freeware programs to give a strong protection layer to Windows and other systems. They scan, detect, remove, and prevent any potential threat of malware.
Commons in Malwarebytes Vs Spybot
- Both offer free version with limited features
- Both of these don’t have a scheduled scanning which means you need to make manual scanning too frequently
- Free versions don’t provide real-time protection
Feature comparison of Spybot Vs Malwarebytes
- The Spybot Search and Destroy works more like a system repairing tool than a protecting one. The Malwarebytes works like an add-on antimalware unit to your currently installed antivirus program.
- The Spybot detects and removes malware, adware, and other potential threats from your system. On the other hand, whenever you download a program, the Malwarebytes program runs in the background and gives you a warning for any incoming threat.
- At most of the occasions, the Spybot provides anti-spyware and anti-malware service, not any protection against potential threats in digital payments, social media protection, or at the real-time security needs. The Malwarebytes not only protects against malware, adware, Trojan, Ransomware, etc. but also protects your browser from being attacked by the malicious scripts.
- Malwarebytes comes with ‘hyper scan mode’ which only performs a custom scan on the possible active threats on your system and so not affect much on the system performance. The Spybot comes with an automated update feature which means it delivers ample efforts to prevent malware and virus from being on your system.
- Malwarebytes tool works against the zero-day malware means it protects against the threats that are created recently and released on the web just a few hours back or even before an hour. The Spybot launched the ‘Professional Edition’ which comes with more advanced features like file shredder, Boot CD creator, etc.
Quick Comparison of Spybot Search and Destroy Vs Malwarebytes
|Free version available||Yes||Yes|
|Price Per Year||$27.99||$57.99|
Which is the best malware protection?
Spybot has some more useful tools than the Malwarebytes, but when it comes to detecting the malware soon at the time of new software installation, Malwarebytes outplays Spybot. Both have their own selling points as well as weak spots to make the challenger becoming a choice. So, it is tough to pick one from them as the best antimalware program for your system.
I advise you to gather your requirements, check your budget, compare their features side by side and then get the most suitable for you. This comparison guide will surely give a helping hand to you in making your choice.
Still if you ask me, my vote will go to the Malwarebytes tool as it has the upper hand in most of the aspects.
It’s always recommended and required to have a good antivirus software as a leadership position to protect your PC from malware and viruses. But, picking up the best in the market is not such an easy job as almost all antivirus programs come with identical features with minimal price differences. So such a comparison article always helps in getting the better suitable service for the money and needs.
Let me know which of these both, Malwarebytes and Spybot antimalware program you will get for your system and why so. Hit the comment section below.
Be always secured!