In this era of USB WiFi adapters, the Windows PCs, especially the latest OS versions of Windows 10 and other systems access the internet using them. But, one most common problem across all such systems is the access point, or the wireless adapter faces the connection issues. One of the main reasons for that is the improper configuration of the WiFi adapters.
This problem gets annoying, especially when you are surfing online for some important things, playing favorite online games, watching how to videos to do DIY stuff at home, etc. So, it’s good if you know how to fix it.
Troubleshooting may provide the exact problem and the solution for it, but it is better to get awareness of different tactics to solve such easy to fix errors. Today, I will help you to fix the problem with wireless adapter or access point in Windows 10 PCs. Though I centralized it on Windows 10, you can also apply them to other Windows systems like Windows 8.1/8/7 or older as most of them have similar working.
Solution-1: Is your wireless adapter is disabled?
On many occasions, users do not know this, and they search and try for other solutions, but don’t get the problem solved. So, anytime you face such a problem with the access point or wireless adapter, check the authentication of the adapter. For this;
- Open the ‘device manager’ by pressing Windows + X key on your system and selecting the same.
- Now select the wireless adapter and open its properties by making double-click on it.
- Then, in the ‘Driver’ tab, see the ‘Enable’ button, if you don’t find it, that means your selected device is already Enabled, and you do not need to make any changes here.
- If the ‘Enable’ button is showing, then click on it and then select Ok.
Solution-2: Disable the Antivirus software
Sometimes, the third party antivirus software you are using may be the cause of this problem. Whether you know or not, but Windows system comes with their own in-built antivirus program called as Windows Defender. It behaves like a fully functional protective tool, and so you don’t need to install any other third party program. However, if you are using the third party antivirus software, then disable it and restart your system. Check if the problem is fixed.
Solution-3: See if you have changed the WiFi password
Protecting the wireless network with a complex password is strongly recommended and needed too. But setting a WiFi password which is too complex to remember can sometimes cause the connection problem if you forget a single digit of that. If you are facing this problem means you don’t remember the password of the wireless network you set, follow the below steps to recover.
- First, make the network forget from the icon at the bottom left corner of the screen. Then, reconnect by entering the correct credentials of the network.
- If you don’t remember the password and if you have recovery options like an Email or Phone number to reset it, then use them. Change the WiFi name and password and then follow the first step again.
- If you don’t know how to use the recovery options or there are no any, then try to reset the WiFi router. Every router has a reset button on the back or bottom. You can either press that button to reset the device or can go to the router settings and then choose the reset option.
Before doing this last step, make sure to export the configuration file. You can read the instruction manual that came with your router if you don’t have knowledge of resetting the router and how to take back up of the configuration settings.
Solution-4: Uninstall the wireless adapter driver and then download the latest version
Sometimes, a corrupted driver can also become a reason of the problem with the wireless network or access point. If you have not installed the driver correctly, then also you may have to face this error. It’s recommended to uninstall the corrupted adapter driver and reinstall the latest version of it. Follow the process below:
Step-1: Open ‘device manager.’
Step-2: Look out for the ‘Network adapters’ option and expand it
Step-3: Right-click on the wireless network adapter in which you are facing the issue and then choose ‘Uninstall device.’
Step-4: Check the delete dialog box in the pop-up window and then click Uninstall button
Step-5: Now, visit the manufacturer’s website and download the latest version of the wireless adapter. Make use of the USB flash drive to save the correct downloaded file and then insert it into the USB port of the system in which you are facing the connection problem.
Step-6: Install the right network adapter driver that you have downloaded and saved on the USB drive.
You can also use some third-party software that are available online. Such software helps you to find the corrupted drivers on your system and let you update them all automatically. So, if you are a newbie or don’t want to spend time in searching official sites and download the software by self, then I recommend you to use such programs.
Solution-5: Disable the power saver of the wireless adapter
Many users don’t know but the best wireless adapters come with a power saving feature, and that also may be the reason of the problem of access point connection error. So, disabling this feature may work as a fix for the problem. Check the process below:
- Open the ‘control panel’ by pressing Windows + S key and typing the same in that
- Then go to the Network Connections > wireless connection
- Right click on it and choose ‘properties.’
- Go to configure > advanced
- Now, go to the ‘Power management’ settings and then uncheck the box followed by ‘Default/Auto’
- See if the error is solved
Troubleshoot: Problem with wireless adapter or access point
Windows systems come with too many but tiny problems that can be solved by simple methods like above. You can also use command prompt and write quick commands to delete & update the wireless network profile or to uninstall the download the latest wireless network adapter drivers.
Remember that if you do not solve this problem, you have to face the disconnection from the web wirelessly, means you will be unable to surf online, play videos on YouTube, publish your latest blog post, and any other task that can be done with the help of the internet. So, it is better to get rid of this error as soon as possible.
If you know any other effective and quick method to solve the “Problem with Wireless Adapter or Access Point” in Windows 10 and other systems, then share them in the comment section below. Thank you for reading.