A few days before, I installed Eclipse on my PC for developing Java applications. But later, I realized that I do not need it as much as I thought when got familiar with it. So, I decided to remove it from the system. I succeeded too but faced some issues while doing it. This led me to create this how-to guide to Uninstall Eclipse for helping my readers and friends. This guide has two sections; one on how to uninstall Eclipse on Mac and other on how to uninstall Eclipse on Windows 10. We will see them one by one.
How to Uninstall Eclipse on Mac
If you are beginner of using Mac OS and from the field of programming, then the Eclipse is a recommended free application for you. But, if you are not from a coding background or don’t want to do it near future, then this app may turn useless to you. If you have made your mind to uninstall Eclipse from your Mac system, then follow the process below.
Step-1: Close the app before uninstall
If you want to remove Eclipse from your Mac OS completely, then you should first close it before uninstallation begins. Otherwise, some temporary files and packages may remain on the system.
There are three ways to close the Eclipse application in Mac systems:
- From the app menu, click on ‘Quit’ button after you move the Eclipse app on the desktop.
- In the icon bar, look for Eclipse icon. When you find it, right click on it and select ‘Quit.’
- Using Activity Monitor
- Open activity monitor in your Mac system.
- Write Eclipse in the search box.
- Select the appropriate process and click on ‘Close (X)’ button at the left side corner.
- When you see a pop-up window on the screen, click on the ‘Quit’ button. If the process is still running, then click on ‘Force Quit’ button.
Step-2: Uninstall Eclipse on Mac OS
As like the closing of the application, there are several ways to uninstall Eclipse on Mac systems. Let’s see them here:
1) Manually uninstall Eclipse on Mac
First, log in as administrator in your system. If you do not do this, then you will be asked to enter the administrative credentials at the time of uninstalling the app. The choice is yours.
- Now, on the Dock area click on the ‘Launchpad’ icon.
- Write ‘Eclipse’ in the search box.
- When you locate the app icon, click and hold the cursor until the image starts jiggling.
- Now, select the ‘delete’ option appearing on the icon of the application.
- In the pop-up window, click on the ‘Delete’ button to start uninstalling the Eclipse software.
If this does your job, then it’s okay. But in case, if you don’t see any delete option on the application icon, then use the other methods mentioned below.
2) With the help of dedicated installer
Sometimes, when you download the application, it comes with a pre-included uninstall package. It is known as a dedicated installer. This package helps to remove the files, plugins, data and all other related information of that particular software.
- Open the folder where you have stored all the data of the Eclipse application.
- Scroll down and look for the ‘Uninstall’ application package.
- When you find it, double-click on it or make a right click and select ‘Open.’
- Give your input as instructed on the screen and the Eclipse will be uninstalled from your Mac OS.
You can also visit the official site of Eclipse to get the uninstaller package or use the next method to remove Eclipse now.
3) Uninstall Eclipse on Mac from the Application folder
This method is useful mostly when you did not install Eclipse from the ‘App Store’ directly. Follow the below steps to remove Eclipse on Mac.
- Open the ‘Application Folder’ on your Mac system.
- Locate the icon of the ‘Eclipse’ application.
- Click on it and hold it until you sure that it can be moved to another place.
- Now, drag and drop it in the Trash application (You can see the ‘Trash’ icon at the corner of the Dock area).
- You can also make the right click on the Eclipse app icon and select ‘Move to Trash.’
- After the software packages successfully moved to trash, right click on the ‘trash’ icon and then choose ‘Empty Trash.’
Note: When you move the app to the trash and empty it, then you will not be able to recover it from there. If you wish to reuse the app, then the only way remains is to re-install it on your system. So make sure you no longer need the Eclipse app before you move it to trash.
Step-3: Delete remaining files
Many applications run background processes or take part in changing some of the system files which in turn results into letting over some files or packages remain on the system. Mostly, these packages or files do not harm other system applications. But due to some malicious activities that may happen due to some software or download resources, you need to remove all the relevant files of Eclipse after you uninstall it.
You may already know that all the leftovers can be found in the location called Library in the Mac OS. You can remove these kept files from the system library.
- In your system, go to menu bar and open ‘Finder.’
- Write ‘/Library’ and click on ‘Go’ button.
- Look for all the files and folders relevant to Eclipse and move them to ‘Trash.’
- To remove the Eclipse components from the Mac system, follow the steps below:
- Open Finder, type ‘~/Library/’ and select ‘Go’ button.
- In the search bar at top right corner write ‘Eclipse’ and select the ‘Library.’
- Look for all the relevant files and folders of Eclipse, right click on them and move them to trash.
How to Uninstall Eclipse on Windows 10
If you are using the Windows 10 or other Windows Operating Systems and want to uninstall Eclipse windows version, then check the methods below.
Like we seen methods to uninstall Eclipse on Mac OS, we can also follow different ways to uninstall Eclipse on Windows systems.
Method-1: Use application uninstaller
You can use the uninstaller application that sometimes downloaded and installed on your Windows PC along with the software.
Go to the parent folder where Eclipse is stored. Look for the application file named as ‘Uninstaller.’ When you find it, double click on it and follow the instructions to remove Eclipse from Windows system.
Method-2: Using Add or Remove Programs
You know that any application or software you install on your system is listed under the programs section. You can take help of this inbuilt app to remove Eclipse from Windows.
- Press Windows + S key and type ‘Programs.’
- When you see an icon of ‘Add or Remove Programs’, click on it.
- Now, from the list of applications, look for ‘Eclipse.’
- When you locate the app, click on it and select ‘Uninstall.’
- Click yes/uninstall when prompted.
Method-3: Use System Restore
System Restore is a way to get your PC in previously set condition. Sometime, if you have selected this option as on, the PC will automatically create a Restore Point after a particular time period. You can also create the System Restore Point manually before making some big changes in your PC. If you have created such Restore Point, then it will be easier to remove Eclipse from your PC.
- Open the desktop and close all the applications that are currently running on your system.
- Press Windows + S key and type ‘Create a Restore Point.’
- Click on the icon when you find it on the search menu.
- Under the ‘System Properties’ section, click on the ‘System restore’ button.
- Click ‘Next’ and then select the appropriate restore point you created before installing Eclipse.
- Again click on ‘Next’ followed by choosing ‘Finish’ button.
After you follow this process, you will get back your system in a working state without directly removing Eclipse from your PC. And everything will work just fine.
Remove Eclipse Now
If you find that the Eclipse application is not useful to you then I advise you to remove it from your Windows or Mac PC as soon as you can. It will help you to use your hard drive space and RAM for other useful apps and software. Other than the method mentioned here, you can also take help from some third party programs and antivirus systems to remove Eclipse from PC.
If you use any other reliable way to uninstall Eclipse on Mac or Windows Operating system, then share it in the comment section below. Also share your thinking of usefulness of this software for developers and normal users.